In rainy Washington, Obama lights national Christmas tree
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:23:15 -0500
Braving rain and cold, President Barack Obama and his family ventured across the street from the White House on Friday to preside over the lighting of the U.S. national Christmas tree. Obama, his wife, daughters, and mother-in-law took part in the annual tradition, which featured music by singers Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, and the group Train. "You are lucky I'm not singing," Obama joked to the rain-soaked crowd. The president used the occasion to pay tribute again to Nelson Mandela, the former South African president who died on Thursday.
Fate of 40 stranded Florida whales unclear
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:18:48 -0500
After a three-day rescue effort, the fate of 40 whales hung in the balance, with officials saying they had lost track of two dozen of them in southern Florida. "Anything could happen, whales could change direction, flight going up in the morning to locate whales again," an official National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration account tweeted. With 11 whales already dead, a second NOAA tweet said biologists were concerned to hear of behavior including dehydration and malnutrition among whales being monitored. NOAA marine mammal scientist Blair Mase suggested it was "encouraging" that 24 of the mammals had not been located.
Obama, Bush, Clinton to travel to South Africa
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:07:35 -0500
WASHINGTON (AP) — At least three American presidents will travel to South Africa to attend memorial services for anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, who died Thursday at age 95.
Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:07:29 -0500
DILLON, Colo. (AP) — A runaway reindeer broke free from Santa Claus at a Colorado mall Thursday while the Big Man was inside visiting with children.
Judge: Brennan's in New Orleans is bankrupt
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:05:53 -0500
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal bankruptcy judge says the company that formerly owned the landmark New Orleans restaurant Brennan's is bankrupt and must be liquidated.
Fawcett portrait worth $12M, expert tells jury
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:05:23 -0500
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An Andy Warhol portrait of Farrah Fawcett currently held by actor Ryan O'Neal is worth an estimated $12 million, an appraiser told a jury Friday.
Woods ties record and takes 2-shot lead
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:59:34 -0500
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — Tiger Woods didn't like the way he warmed up on the range. What he produced on the golf course Friday left him with no complaints.
Party celebrates Washington pot anniversary
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:56:30 -0500
SEATTLE (AP) — Crowds of happy stoners bundled in winter coats are celebrating the anniversary of legal marijuana in Washington state by sparking up under Seattle's Space Needle.
Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:53:40 -0500
DALLAS (AP) — Freezing rain and stinging winds slammed the Southwest Friday and made a strangely blank landscape out of normally sun-drenched North Texas: mostly empty highways covered in a sometimes impassable frost, closed schools and businesses, and millions of residents hunkered down for icy conditions expected to last through the weekend.
ABC's 'Scandal' reduced to 18 episodes this season
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:53:33 -0500
LOS ANGELES (AP) — ABC says it will air four fewer episodes of "Scandal" than planned this season.
- Attracting public attention to products or services, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media.
Art and Hobbies
- Activities or interests pursued outside of one's regular occupation. Engaged in hobbies primarily for pleasure and interest.
Auto Care and Services
- Vehicle parts and services. Resources related to automobiles, motorcycles, or RVs. Find rentals, parts, invoices, quotes, services, new cars, leases, detailing, leather care, and reviews.
Business Products and Supplies
- Furnish or equip businesses and offices. Providing businesses with the materials that are needed for everyday business.
Clothing and Accessories
- Dressing for fashion. Garments for men and women. Find a designer. Golf clothes, elegant clothes, China clothes. Articles of dress, wearing apparel and accessories.
- Services that relate to the computer including computer stores, new computers, computer networking services and consulting services.
- Commerce that is transacted electronically, as over the internet. Services that help or facilitate the electronic shopping carts.
Education and Training
- Process of educating and training. To gain knowledge or skill obtained in a learning process. Fields of study. Instructive resources to gain experience.
Employment and Careers
- Career news, advice, and search help in finding jobs. Resource center for job openings, employer profiles, resume posting, articles, and more.
- Art or fields of entertainment. Amusement sites relating to performance or show. Find the latest in TV, movies, and music.
- Resources including banking, stocks, investments, real estate, planning, retirement, taxes, and estates.
Gambling and Casinos
- Directory list of online gambling sites. Read news on Web and brick-and-mortar casinos, find gaming tips or get the latest lines. Casino sites describing the future of online gaming in various states and suggests strategies for playing blackjack, roulette, and slots on the Web.
Gifts and Collectibles
- See the catalog of unusual spa gifts. Shop for gifts, flowers or perfumes and find presents on sale for any occasion, including Mother's Day, birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas. Specialty store sells gifts, collectibles, books, jewelry and items for the home. Browse the listings for product prices and descriptions.
Health and Fitness
- Read articles concerning nutrition, exercise programs, medical research and weight loss. Extensive information on fitness, health and nutrition. Features library, clubs, fitness products, sports medicine, newsgroups and a FAQ. Features articles with nutrition, weightlifting, and exercise tips.
Home and Garden
- Find plant details, organizations, chat, events, advice, glossaries, and databases. Provides articles, gardening tips, and Q&A. Find how-to projects and check out the regional reports.
Home Products and Services
- Find home decorating and improvement articles, and use the search feature to scan for home related products and services. Hundreds of tips and ideas for managing, improving, and decorating your home.
- Provides articles and links for people interested in working from home. Offers links to consultation services, home Internet resources, business start pages, and related tools for the small business owner.
Industrial and Commercial
- Provides information on homes, construction, industry, private, government, professionals, engineering, and more.
- Read a collection of tips, essays and newsletters full of Internet marketing tips, tricks and suggestions. Includes research resources.
- Search for a legal professional or browse free information about the law and legal system for consumers and businesses.
Online Shopping and Gifts
- Get shopping advice from other consumers on all types of products, including computers, cars and sporting goods. Save on discount electronics, books, clothes, exercise equipment, housewares and thousands of other products.
Personal Products and Services
- Tips on makeup and fashion, health care, food, nutrition and environmental issues. Self help guides, services related to health. Products that help in aging, hygiene, eyeware, diet, and more.
- Features real estate news and advice of interest to consumers and professionals. Peruse listings of mortgage rates, agents and properties.
- Discover tens of thousands of software titles for Windows and Mac OS. CD-ROM retailers, variety of business, educational, game and specialty software.
Sports and Athletics
- Retailers offering sporting apparel and equipment for a variety of sports. Examine various product lines, which includes bicycles, inline skates and kickboards, skis and snowboards, and shoes.
- Provides resources related to travel. Guides, tickets, hotels, and more for your vacation or business travel.
- Register domains, find hosting, get a web developer, increase search engine optimization, start an online business. and more.
- Resources give tips on many tasks in creating a wedding plan, including hints on etiquette, party planning, the cake, and the invitations.